Mittwoch, 13. April 2011

Cons and Pros.

So, as the Big Move (to Belfast) draws ever closer (some time in July), I'm beginning to worry about some things, and rejoice about others. There are the practical worries like "will I get into university?", "how long will The Husband's visa take?" and "how the holy jiggedy fuck are we going to move all our crap there?"

There are other worries to be taken into account as well. Like, what am I doing moving back somewhere I never thought I'd be pre-retirement age? Or at least "settling down" age. I'd be worried that that's what I'm doing, except that it's hard to settle down without a proper job, a house or the means to procure either. I am also feeling some slight trepidation about re-involving myself with a society that is somewhat less open minded than where I am now, with regard to religion, race and sexuality. Though, who knows? I've been more or less away for three years. For all I know it's like Sodom and Gomorrah on Buckfast by now. No rules, no judgment and mind the weird purple-brown puke on your way out. Here's hoping.

But yes, with cons comes pros. Lovely, lovely pros. Like the aforementioned Buckfast, and the oft-mentioned Scampi Fries. And pubs with fires and people in them who talk and laugh LOUDLY. And family, and old friends and maybe a little kitten to call our own. And a new city, and new beginnings and EXCITEMENT.

Pros ALWAYS outweigh the cons. 



2 Kommentare:

  1. Want to meet new people online and offline? Connect with others on http://www.facebook.com/weclic.net!

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Your story reminded me of when I made a big upheaval a few years ago. I moved from my home country of Scotland across to Belfast (Whiteabbey to be exact) and it was a nerveracking time. Everything worked out fine and now I am planning a city break in Berlin this summer so looks like we are seeing the same cities at different times. See you in Ulan Bator maybe.

    AntwortenLöschen